When I watched @Neil Price's video when he was tired but went out with the girls for a practice anyway I noticed the hop from rear across to the second rock. In the past I've had a bit of a play with this, but then moved on again - too hard. The forest where I usually ride is being clear-felled at the moment so my riding possibilities are seriously curtailed for a while, so I decided this might be a good challenge to work on while options are limited. Really it's another of those skills that I have no practical need of, but it looks fun and a challenge so I'm onto it. Today I took a bit of video. Hopefully these clips show a selection of my typical variations. Most of the time I feel like the timing of clutch and extension is well out (clutch engages too early compared to my extension), so I end up extending the wheel down instead of across, and I get no lift at all. I think that's partly due to not getting the front high enough on the first lift, so it all becomes rushed, or perhaps just not enough control slipping the clutch to keep the front up while building revs and starting the extension. Not sure. I felt like the last one was the best effort for the day (so I stopped straight after it) - I tried to get the front a bit higher on the first lift, and really tried to delay the clutch until later in my extension. Ideally I'd like to get this to the point where I can pop up onto a smaller obstacle, settle on the rear for a moment, then gap across to another. I've got some double logs I play on that are pretty good for this, but I'm a long way off the "settle for a moment" part!

Posted by Peter Mack at 2023-02-12 12:02:06 UTC